Why Become a PADI Scuba Instructor?
Do you want to inspire others with your love for the ocean? Do you want to change fear into excitement? Then maybe you need to become a PADI scuba instructor with our comprehensive PADI IDC program.
As a scuba instructor you are an ambassador for the ocean, a role that we take very seriously and instill throughout all of our professional programs.
With our PADI IDC here in Costa Rica we have now added more to our new curriculum with additional marine conservation emphasis and modules including a chance to learn about our coral nursery project.
Whats does our PADI IDC teach you?
Our 14-day program here in Costa Rica will teach you many skills. The focus of the PADI IDC is how to conduct all PADI core courses. You’ll learn how to organize and present information as well as run skill sessions and open water training dives.
You will also learn to become a better public speaker, work on your demonstrations underwater and and practice how to supervise and control your student divers.
You will learn all about correct positioning underwater and being able to anticipate problems and respond as they arise.
Who Can Enroll on the PADI IDC ?
A PADI Divemaster who has been a certified diver for six months, may enrol in the PADI Instructor development course here in Costa Rica. You also need to fulfill the following requirements:
- At least 60 logged dives to start the IDC and 100 dives to enroll in a PADI IE.
- Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (CPR and First Aid) training within the past 24 months.
- A medical statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months stating you are fit to dive.
- You will also need to become an Emergency First Response Instructor which is included in our PADI Diving Instructor Development Course.
With Oceans Unlimited, a 5 Star PADI Career Development Centre, candidates completing the PADI IDC with us are permitted to enter the IE with less than 100 logged dives. PADI will process teaching status once the 100th dive has been logged.
How is the PADI IDC course structured?
Here at Go Pro Costa Rica we have a very comprehensive 12 program. The PADI Instructor Development Course has two parts; online portion and Course Director led portion.
The online section includes the following subjects within the IDC e-learning part of your digital IDC Crew Pack.
We highly recommend that you complete this online section before you arrive. Once you have signed up for the program you will receive your online login so can start learning from the comfort of your own home.
The e-learning curriculum contains the following subjects that are all completed online.
- Getting started
- Dive Theory for dive leaders
- PADI System overview
- Learning, Instruction & the PADI system
- Discover Scuba Diving & Experience programs
- The PADI Open Water Course
- Risk Management & Legal Consideration
- Managing Risk
- PADI Quality Management & Licensing
- Introduction to Teaching Presentations
- Conducting & Evaluating knowledge development
- Confined Water training
- Open water training
- Continuing Education & Leadership Courses
- The Business of Diving
- Dive Theory Workshop
- PADI System Workshop
- Learning and Teaching Workshop
- Discover Scuba Diving Workshop
- Open Water Dive Course Scheduling and Set Up Workshop
- Risk Management and Licensing Workshop
- Knowledge Development Presentation Workshop and Candidate Knowledge Development Presentations
- Skill Development Workshop
- Confined Water Training Workshop and Candidate Confined Water Teaching Presentations
- Open Water Training Workshop and Candidate Open Water Teaching Presentations
- Continuing Education Workshop
- Advanced Open Water Diver Course Workshop
- Rescue Diver Course Workshop
- Sales Techniques Workshop
- Course Close
Most days are spent between the classroom and the water. Keeping you fully immersed in the scuba instructor experience.
Additional IDC Training Workshops
These are workshops we run during the PADI IDC to ensure that you have the most comprehensive learning experience possible.
- CESA – How to conduct the Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent in confined and open water
- Ascent & Descent conduct in Open Water
- How to set up an open water dive site
- Continuing education workshop including ; Knots & Lift bag use – Navigation & handling of a compass
- Rescue Diver exercises
- Marketing and branding
- How to write a good Dive CV
- How to incorporate and inspire marine conservation actions into your courses and dives.
What is included in our PADI IDC here in Costa Rica?
- PADI IDC course
- Emergency First Response Instructor Course
- PADI IDC and EFR instructor materials
- 5 instructor specialties (MSDT prep)
- Internship opportunities
- Resort training - including equipment maintenance and compressor operations following the program
- Free Prep Course – 2 days duration, skills and academics covered
- Free Diving before and during the program.
- Free introduction to our coral nursery project and conservation work.
- Free T-Shirt
- Dive equipment rental- BCD, reg and wetsuit
If you do not not own a full set of scuba gear, or for travel reasons do not want to bring your equipment we include a Regulator, BCD and a wetsuit for you. If you start to teach with us following the program it is recommended that you purchase your own regulator and BCD. We have special discounts in the shop for pro students.
You will need to provide the following for the IDC and the IE here at Go Pro. They are all required by PADI standards.
- Watch or Dive computer
- Knife or diving tool
- Surface Market Buoy DSMB and reel
What is the Cost of the PADI IDC course?
Our PADI IDC course includes the IDC and EFRI course, 5 instructor specialties and materials and all of the additional bonuses outlined above.
It comes with the Digital IDC crew pack which includes;
- IDC e-learning
- PADI Guide to Teaching
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- PADI Quizzes & Exam Booklets (Open Water, Rescue Diver, Divemaster)
- Project AWARE Specialty Instructor Outline
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Outline
- PADI Open Water Course Prescriptive Lesson Guides
All of these items are online and then downloadable. You will also physically receive;
- PADI Backpack
- Dive Lesson Planning Slates [Confined and Open Water)
- PADI Dive Planning & Skill Practice Slate
- Open Water, Advanced, Rescue Diver, Divemaster course Instructor Cue Cards
In addition you will receive Emergency First Response Instructor manual, emergency care at a glance card and a barrier keychain.
Cost of all courses, materials and everything outlined above is $2099
There are a number of application and examination fees, all of which must be paid by the candidate. These are;
PADI Instructor Exam – $715
PADI Instructor Application – $199
EFR Instructor Application – $120
These are paid for at the time of the PADI IE.
Specialty instructor applications - $74 per application (can be sent off at a later date)